Thursday 19 May 2011

Just Fishin'

Trace Adkins has a new song on the radio - Just Fishin' - maybe you have heard it. If not here are just some of the Lyrics - you can read all the lyrics here

Me and my dad Fishin'!
I’m lost in her there holdin’ that pink rod and reel  
She’s doin’ almost everything but sittin’ still 
Talkin’ ‘bout her ballet shoes and training wheels And her kittens 
And she thinks we’re just fishin’ 

I say, “Daddy loves you, baby” one more time 
She says, “I know. I think I got a bite.” 
And all this laughin’, cryin, smilin’ 
dyin’ here inside’s What I call, livin’ 

And she thinks we’re just fishin’ 
on the riverside Throwin’ back what we could fry 
Drownin’ worms and killin’ time 
Nothin’ too ambitious 

She ain’t even thinkin’ ‘bout 
What’s really goin’ on right now 
But I guarantee this memory’s a big’in 
And she thinks we’re just fishin’ 
Yeah, aww, she thinks we’re just fishin’ 
We ain’t only fishin’ 
(This ain’t about fishin’) 

When I heard this song on the radio last night it made me think about what I do spending time with youth. I don't want to sound like I have a hidden agenda, I really don't. At the same time what I do isn't about having coffee or lunch, it isn't about sorting bottles or going for a walk. It's about what those things accomplish, about the space those times create. When I do those things it's so that I can build relationship with kids, so there is a time created where we can talk about life and God and what's good and what's hard.

I'm sure that parent's are familiar with this, creating space to connect with their kids, to build relationship. Making time to do something "fun" that creates space for real life conversation. I love how honest this song is about why this dad too his little girl fishing, it's because he wants to be invested in her life. I want to be deeply invested in the lives of the youth I meet with, I want the things we do together to create space for relationship and trust.

It's a great song that really got me thinking! hopefully it makes you think too.

1 comment: