Tuesday 11 October 2011

Standing in the breach

I was reading in Psalm 106 today and verse 23 stood out to me. The psalm recounts the history of the Israelites. It highlights some of their sins against the Lord, rebelling against him, giving in to their cravings and not waiting on Him, being envious, exchanging God for the image of a bull, despising the land they had been given . . . the list goes on. The incredible thing to me was how God in his unending love continued to care for them, continued to offer them mercy and forgiveness, it is truly a psalm which highlights His long-suffering. But now verse 23 -

21 They forgot the God who saved them, who had done 
great things in Egypt, 22 miracles in the land of Ham and 
awesome deeds by the Red Sea. 23 So he said he would 
destroy them— had not Moses, his chosen one, stood in the breach 
before him to keep his wrath from destroying them. 

It made me think of all the people who must have been "standing in the breach" for me during some of the darkest times of my life. People I know who were praying for me, coming before God on my behalf, pleading with him for my sake. The reality is I probably do not know all the names on that list, all the people who were lifting me up before God in prayer. But I know their prayers worked, I know God heard them and had mercy on me and turned my heart to Him once again. I am astounded every time I think of how God was working through others in my life. 

After reading that psalm and reflecting on that reality in my own life I prayed. I prayed for the youth I work with, for the youth of Ponoka and the surrounding area, I prayed for them by name and circumstance. I want to stand in the breach for these kids, and what is being revealed to me is that the only way I can stand in the breach is if I get on my knees in prayer. Please join with me, please pray for the youth of Ponoka, and please believe that your prayers on their behalf make a significant difference in their lives. 

2 comments:

  1. Haley, Praise the Lord! I was thinking about you the other day and wondering where you were and how you were doing. This blog is my answer! You are pursuing God and pointing other people to him! THanks for sharing. I love you. and may our paths cross once again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Standing on your knees is probably the tallest way to pray!!

    ReplyDelete